What We Do
4 Generations of Craftsmanship
Our story begins in 1910, when William Alvin Albert Coleman was the Sunday school secretary for Bell Avenue baptist church. He felt the need for attendance cards and the 6 point card was created (Attendance, Bible brought, Lesson studied, Giving, Worship attendance, Bible reading & prayer). The church purchased a small printing press and William set it up in the family dining room. William eventually purchased the printing press from the church, and he and his son, Clarence, began printing professionally.
In 1921 Coleman's Printing was born. William purchased more printing machinery, and set up a print shop behind the Coleman's house on Cruze Street, which is now the site of the Phillis Wheatley YMCA. The building was enlarged 3 separate times as the business continued to grow.
In 1950, William A. A. Coleman passed away, leaving the business to his wife Evelyn and their 4 children: Clarence, Agatha, Iva Jean, and William "Bill." Soon after, Bill bought out his mother and siblings, and Clarence started his own Printing company.
In 1962, Bill Coleman moved the business from the Cruze Street location to a building on McCalla Avenue, which would become the location of the Love Kitchen. In 1969, Bill and Helen's son, Alvin, completed his Navy tour and began working for the company full time, while also working for Clarence's printing company. It was also during this time that Alvin's wife Louise and her lifelong friend Carol Buckner joined the staff. Soon after, Alvin and Louise added the trophy side operation out of the basement of their home.
In 1994, Alvin and Louise moved the business again from McCalla Avenue to North Broadway, our current location. Today, we are led by two of Alvin and Louise's sons, Richard, and JT. In 2018, we completed our addition to our shop on Broadway, nearly doubling our square footage.
Printing is in our DNA, and as our family continues to grow, we look forward to helping you tell your story!
Highlights of some of our favorite projects